Welcome

Welcome to official website of PRES

Work on projects to generate 2,150 megawatt power soon: KP CM

Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Chief Minister, Ameer Haider Khan Hoti has said the provincial government is initiating work on hydropower projects to generate 2,150 megawatts electricity.

Winding up the debate on the annual provincial budget 2012-13, he said the construction work on the Machai (Mardan), Runyal hydro project (Kohistan) and Daral Khawar was in progress. These projects, he said, would produce 56 MW hydel power while work on 84 MW Mataltan (Kalam) and 69 MW Lawi projects will be launched shortly.

Ameer Haider Hoti said the feasibility studies of eight projects had been carried out, saying work would be started after the approval of the PC-I. He said the feasibility studies of another 13 hydel projects having the capacity to produce 826 MW power would be completed in two years. He said funds for these projects were available and were part of the annual development programme of the provincial government.

Regarding the payment of the outstanding amount under the head of net profit on hydel power generation, the chief minister said Rs10 billion had been paid with immediate effect to the province and the procedure for the payment of remaining Rs.100 billion was in shape of annual installment of Rs.25 billion.

The chief minister said payments to the province continued as per agreed formula and it had received an amount of Rs60 billion so far and the remaining two installments would be received in financial years 2012-13 and 2013-14.

He said royalty on the oil and gas production had been increased by 100 per cent and the province would receive Rs.1.25 billion instead of Rs.700 million. He said the province was producing 30,000 barrel oil per day and negotiations were in progress with federal government to establish an oil refinery in the southern districts of the province.

The chief minister said during last 60 years 10 universities were established in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa while his government set up nine universities during last four years, which was a remarkable achievement. He said that the allocation for higher education has been increased from Rs.3 billion to Rs.5 billion.

He said for the first time in the history of the province foreign assistance had registered an increase by 77 per cent. He added that the province during the current year received assistance of Rs.23 billion out of which 84 per cent was grant and the remaining 16 per cent were loan.He said that business community of the province was facing difficulties in getting credit, adding that the government would provide a long term financing facility to the investors.

Comments are closed.